Inter Miami sign Leo Messi’s compatriot: Who is Marcelo Weigandt?

[ad_1]

Luis Suarez’s arrival at Inter Miami was a major marketing boost for David Beckham’s team. But his arrival was not enough to reinforce the team as they bid for the MLS title, so they have turned to Argentina to sign Marcelo Weigandt.

Tata Martino, head coach, also wanted to reinforce the defense and that is why Beckham has authorized, financed and closed the signature of one of their top targets in the Boca Juniors right back.

Watch Lionel Messi’s near career-ending moment in dangerous play with MacNaughton

The player’s contract was expiring and there was speculation that he would leave for Miami, but Inter Miami only offered $150,000, while Boca was hoping to get $1 million for its academy player.

Finally, and in the absence of an agreement, Boca extended the contract until December 2027 to a player who is part of the club, but who did not leave for free.

But that was problematic as Weigandt himself wanted to get more minutes, along with the appeal of being coached by Martino and playing alongside Messi, so eventually they came to an agreement.

Miami have now ensured they’ve consolidated a key defensive weakness at right back by signing the 24-year-old with over 100 career appearances for club and country, respectable numbers for someone of that age.

Inter Miami continues to raid Argentina

Lionel Messi’s side are once again fishing in Argentina to reinforce an already competitive squad. Federico Redondo arrived as a replacement for the injured Facundo Farias and the departure of DeAndre Yedlin to Cincinnati to balance the books left a very difficult gap to fill, which for the moment has been filled with Julian Gressel and Robert Taylor.

Now the 24-year-old right back will be an Inter Miami player for two seasons and will join on loan, but without a fee or option to buy.

However, there is a special clause that indicates that if the full-back is sold during the first year of the loan, Boca Juniors will receive 70 percent of the transaction and the remaining 30 percent will go to the offices of the Beckham-owned club.



[ad_2]

Source

Leave a Comment